the manic hispanic

THE WORLD CUP OF BLOGS

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Now I would have posted about Lollapalooza yesterday, but I woke up around 5pm with the worst hangover ever. More on that later. As far as the festival goes I had a great time. There's a bit of whining going on about Lollapalooza being too corporate and blah, blah. As if it wasn't corporate in '92 or '93 when it was playing a fucking ampitheatre in Tinley Park. Anyways, just about every band that I saw I enjoyed. The Shins were a bit of a snoozer and so was Death Cab. The Chili Peppers kind of stunk it up, but what do you expect from them these days? Very little considering their first single was a song with California in the title(again).

And now for my highlights... Manu Chao was my favorite. So excellent. I loved the police siren and the fact that 40% of the songs ended with the word marijuana and the crowd loved all of it and Manu and his banda loved everybody right back. They came out about 3 times after they pulled the plug on them just to wave and give thanks to the crowd.

I also saw and really enjoyed sets by Sound Team, Editors, Go!Team, The Smoking Popes, Wolfmother, Cold War Kids, Perry Farrell, Patti Smith(sidenote: It looked like they picked Patti up from the bar. She looks like a female version of Keith Ricards), Raconteurs(most surprising set), Be Your Own Pet and Hot Chip. Which brings us back to my hangover.

After the festival was over we decided to head over to Sonotheque to listen to Hot Chip dj. Somehow we ended up talking to them and then going to some other bar after Sonotheque closed. It's all really, really, really, blurry at this point(I had my first beer around noon and it was now 2am)So we are at this bar, smashed, and apparently all I could ask Hot Chip about was soccer and their favorite teams. After this bar closes at 4am we get into some van and head over to an apartment. Where this apartment is I don't know. Who was in the van other than Hot Chip, I don't know either, but there must have been about 15 people piled into this van. We walk into this apartment where there's tons and tons of recording equipment everywhere. Clearly the person who lived there was some sort of producer. This guy asks us if we want to hear some music and puts a song on. I right away recognize the voice of the artist and I ask him who's singing. He replies with something like," Oh, it's a song that I'm working on for my friend Mike." And who could that Mike be? Michael Jackson. I heard new Michael Jackson and it was fucking awesome. Best thing I heard all weekend. Seriously. I was dancing like a maniac. Apparently this guy's some sort of big shot cause he's also working on songs for R.Kelly and Xtina. Next thing I know I wake up at my apt. around 5pm, fully clothed, with my shoes on, on the couch. I felt miserable. Still kind of do. But I heard new Michael Jackson, and it was so fucking good. So good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home